Environmental benefits of incorporating palm oil fuel ash in cement concrete and cement mortar

This paper shows advantages of Palm oil fuel ash as a partial replacement of cement in concrete production, especially cement mortar

G.A. Jokhio; H.M. Hamada; A.M. Humada; Y Gul; Abid Abu-Tair

2020

Scholarcy highlights

  • South-east Asian countries produce the most products from oil palm, which grows their abundantly owing to their geographical and ecological conditions
  • Production of palm oil forms the most proportion of vegetable oil production in the world which was more than 60 million tons in 2012, whereas the percentage of palm oil was more than 35% of the total vegetable oil in the same year
  • Malaysia and Indonesia contribute to the largest production of palm oil in the world which was more than 80% of the total production, just 10% of that palm oil is used to cover the local demand and 90% is exported
  • Increasing the production of palm oil leads to the generation of a huge quantity of waste materials such as Palm oil fuel ash that have high content of silica and serious effects on the surrounding environment if not used in other industries
  • Farzadnia et al conducted a study on the 30% POFA as cement replacement in concrete mix, it was noted that drying shrinkage was reduced by 7.5 % within 28 days due to the addition of Nano silica to the concrete mix
  • In order to benefit from the POFA advantages in the concrete manufacturing, further experimental studies should be conducted to show the potential benefits of the incorporation of POFA in concrete mixtures

Need more features? Save interactive summary cards to your Scholarcy Library.